CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

My Love Letter to the NY Mets- Opening Day at Shea Stadium 2008







The memories of last season's historic collapse are now behind us as the NY Mets start their new season on their home Opening Day. Today's opening day is the last for the NY Mets at Shea Stadium. Next year the new home of the Mets will be Citifield. As a lifelong Mets fan, I am sad to see this last opening day. I have so many memories at Shea Stadium rooting for my team!

The Mets may not have as many World Series championships as the other New York team (the one my hubby roots for...) but they are the team that took root in my heart as a young girl. The first game I can clearly remember watching was probably in 1984 or 1985. I remember it being an extra inning game that seemed like it was not going to end! My parents let us stay up to watch this exciting game and I became hooked. They weren't the best team in baseball but they sure did have promising players on the team! We had Keith Hernandez, Darryl Strawberry, Dwight "Dr. K" Gooden and many more great players, who made the game so exciting for me!

1986 was the year the Mets took the big prize, World Series champs!!! At the time I was going to Junior High all the way in Flushing, Quee
ns! I was attending the only Christian school my Mom could find, Flushing Christian School. We passed Shea Stadium every day on our way to school and back home. During those World Series games, we would listen on the radio and pass a rocking Shea Stadium on the way home. Even though we couldn't attend the games, it sure felt like we were there. We would all scream in the "green" van as we passed Shea.

The day they won the Series, I remember my Dad running out to the store in the midst of all the celebration. He came back and said some lady was so happy about the Mets win, she planted a kiss on him! We were a bunch of happy Mets fans that day.
There are so many other Shea memories. I have been to so many games and each has a special highlight for me. The last game I went to was for my birthday in 2005. My brother got us some great tickets with access to the Diamond Club. I went with my parents and my little brother. I wore my sparkly pink Mets shirt proudly. We had so much fun and I got to spend some one on one time with my Dad in the Diamond Club. This was also right before I found out I was pregnant with Jr.! This is probably my best memory of going to Shea Stadium.

This is also the team my grandpa rooted for and most of the rest of my family. I am hoping my kids will follow the tradition too. Julia is already a Mets fan and hopefully my boys will be too! They have enough Mets outfits from their Uncles!


Through all the ups and downs my team has had, I have remained faithful. I may get frustrated but I will never give up on my Amazin' Mets. Like the motto says "You Gotta Believe". Our team still has promise with David Wright, Jose Reyes, Los Dos Carloses (Beltran and Delgado) and our newest Met, Johan Santana! These guys are so dynamic and fun to watch like my 1986 Mets! So if you hear a crazy lady in Brooklyn madly chanting "!!!!" it is probably me! I love my team and am proud to say that I am a !!!


all Mets Graphics from metsmerizedonline.com - Mets Merized - Your #1 New York Mets Online Source

Powered by ScribeFire.

0 comments:

Frizz Forecast

Naturally Curly News

Hit Counter

FeedBurner FeedCount

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed